This is Matti Pastell’s homepage. I’m an Associate Professor of Future Farming Technologies at Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke). I’m working on measuring, modeling and control of dynamic biological systems, and agricultural automation.
I’ve worked Precision Livestock Farming (PLF) since 2005 developing sensor systems and models to predict animal health problems and automatically monitoring animal behavior and welfare. I have mostly worked with applications in dairy and pig production. The core technologies include wearable sensors and computer vision. We have an active multidiscplinary PLF research group with experts in engineering, computer science, ethology and veterinary science. I’m also currently the President of EAAP Commission on Precision Livestock Farming
More recently I have started to work on welfare monitoring of fish in RAS systems and applications in plant production including robotics for strawberry harvesting, vertical farming and greenhouse production.
I’m always interested in new collaborations and you are very welcome to contact me, you can find contact details from Luke website.
Current research projects
- ClearFarm: Co-designed Welfare Monitoring Platform for Pig and Dairy Cattle
- CowBhave: a basic low-cost open-source automated monitoring system for discrimination of dairy cow behavioural activities
- Disruptive food production technologies contributing to reach the Finnish carbon neutrality goals
- INTELLIRAS: Intelligent farming and health control in landbased recirculating aquaculture systems
- GRAZE-WEL: Can grazing regime and farmers’ perceptions of pasture management affect the welfare of dairy cattle and potential for carbon sequestration?
- Intact tails: a measure of pig welfare
- Automatic monitoring of the health of neonates and sows during the peri-partum period
- BREEDWell: Automatic behavioural phenotyping and breeding for improved dairy cow welfare